Comparing Avast vs Avira Antivirus 2019
When it comes to Anti-virus protection for your computer or mobile device, I’m sure you have seen countless offerings in the market. You should choose wisely though a product that is effective in protecting your computer from viruses and malware because this is of utmost importance for protecting your data and privacy. Avira and Avast are two antivirus software programs that have deliberately changed the game of computer protection.
Both include affordable pricing plans and protective features to help you amp up your security game. However, which one is clearly ahead of the other? To help you make an informed decision, we’re here to find Antivirus DON - Avira vs avast comparison against each other.
Impact on the System Resources – Which Product is Lighter?
We have measured the impact on the system resources using two ways:
- How long does the computer to boot into Windows desktop while the Avira or Avast is installed
- How does the computer perform in various areas (CPU, Graphics, Memory and Disk operations) while the Avira or Avast is installed
- In the boot time test where less is better, it took only 28 seconds (on average) to load Windows desktop when
- Avira Free Antivirus was installed. The same operation took 30 seconds (on average) when Avast Free Antivirus was installed.
- Default boot-time without any antivirus solution in place took 28 seconds.
- So according to our testing, Windows loads faster with Avira.
- Actually, Avira has no delay or impact on the system startup.
In the second area, we have tested computer performance in various areas and the impact of the Avira or Avast on the results. Avast scored 2,138 points and Avira got even slightly more – 2,147 points. The default performance without any antivirus installed was 2,156 points. So the overall impact on the system performance is really low for both products, but again Avira is the winner here.
The final performance test results are highlighted in the chart below. You can clearly see the difference between no best android antivirus and Avast or Avira present. Please note the vertical axis ‘Performance Score‘ is not starting from 0, but from 2,116 to clearly show the small differences.
A Quick Rundown of Winners in Each Category
Winner: Avast. Avast offers a comprehensive, more diverse feature-set as part of its premium security suites.
2. Malware Protection
Winner: Avira. Overall, Avira is slightly better than Avast when it comes to anti-malware defense, as evidenced by recent independent evaluations.
3. System Performance
Winner: Avast. Avast fared better than Avira in both independent performance tests we considered.
Winner: Avast. Avast’s user interface is simpler and more intuitive than Avira’s.
Winner: Avira. You can protect more devices for less money through Avira than through Avast.
6. Customer Satisfaction
Winner: Avast. Avast has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), while Avira has a C.
Avira recently updated its user interface to make it more modern and sleek. The interface includes five tabs on the left side like a Windows Start Menu. You can click on these tabs to access any tool you like. Most users seem to find it hard to access them because of the various layers and elements.
It tends to make things a little complicated. The Device Scan button is almost invisible sitting in one corner of the screen. The overall color scheme is quite light and bright. The green color indicates the status and helps you find whether your system is secure or not. All in all, the user interface is nice, but it could have been better!
Main Differences Between Avast and Avira
The main differences between Avast and Avira are:
- Avast offers more security features and better malware protection at each pricing tier (including FREE), whereas Avira offers less
- Avast generally produces less drag on system performance
- Avast has a higher BBB rating
- Avast currently has more market share than (20% vs 4%) Avira
- Avira offers a unique “do not track” feature for ad blocking, whereas Avast does not have a similar feature